Mold In The Workplace

Most employees are keen to spot dangerous hazards in the workplace jolasers. While it is obvious that chemicals not properly marked or equipment not maintained are dangerous, problems that might be more difficult to spot or even impossible to spot in normal circumstances can pose serious risks. Mold can grow inside walls and ceilings, creating health problems for workers while going unnoticed.

Mold spores are a constant presence in the environment. In the U.S. alone, there are more than 1000 species. Some problems can occur when mold spores become established and begin to grow indoors. Mold can grow in organic materials, causing unpleasant odors, color changes, and, in wood-framed buildings, structural integrity problems. Mold doesn’t need sunlight to grow. It just needs moisture and food to thrive, so colonies can take root in dark areas or difficult-to-reach places.

Most of the effects of mold exposure on health are quite common to allergic reactions. If a person has worked around toxic molds, they may experience persistent symptoms such as hay fever, red eyes and scratchy throat. As well as skin or mucosal irritations, mold can also cause these symptoms. People with existing immune problems may be at greater risk of developing systemic infections. A person who is allergic to mold could have severe respiratory problems, such as asthma attacks.

Although mold has been recognized as a potential health problem, there is no federal regulation regarding the concentrations of airborne mold in the workplace. Mold can make you sick, however. In order to prevent mold growth, your employer should ensure that there are no leaks, water pooling, high humidity or areas with high levels of condensation, as well as clean HVAC systems. Your employer should be informed if you suspect mold growth, if there is water damage or musty or moldy smells in the workplace, and likewise if co-workers complain of these symptoms.